MY FINGER MODERN MEDICINE AND TAFFY

the notion of a broken finger and the healing process is a bit different today than it was some years ago
I know... as I have been visiting the ER since I was a small child
in my youth a break would happen... there would be some talk about how the injury occurred
some X-rays would be taken
then there would be a plaster cast or a splint depending on the break and the severity
then of course there would be follow up visits with more X-rays and more casts or splints

well....
plaster has been replaced with fiberglass, light weight inflatable splints, and high tech adjustable casts with velcro and hinges
the plaster remains.... but only in the art classes and the cut rate facilities
with a plaster cast life sucks... the kid can still take a bath or go in the pool
not to mention the maggots
did I mention the maggots?

in addition to the tools of the trade going through a few advances
so has the philosophy of the treatment changed
the old philosophy was a rather slow process... rather PASSIVE
the new philosophy is much more ACTIVE

rather than putting things in a cast and checking how things are coming together in a few months
the doctor prefers to grab his tools and start cutting
get in their and "set" things right
toss some screws.... plates... rubber bands.... and maybe some duct tape
to make things how they look in the manual
then go from surgery straight into therapy....

I must admit I am torn with this new philosophy...
it is my contention that doctors may be a tad too quick with the knife
now I am not saying this for my case as I believe the opinion of the doctor's that I met with that my break was serious and needed correction through surgery to make things right
but
that is not always the case

this is how I see it

YOU TAKE YOUR CAR TO MIDAS...
THEY ARE GOING TO TELL YOU THAT YOU NEED A NEW MUFFLER

surgeons cut
that is what they do.... they believe in their product and they push this product
in some cases therapy alone or perhaps some alternative care may be what is needed
I guess that is what the second opinion is for... but they all speak in doctor speak
the fraternity sticks together
for the most part... doctors are just lawyers with lab coats and some shinny tools
they do their work in hospitals rather than court houses

one difference between a car and a man....

IF YOU LEAVE A CAR ALONE FOR A WHILE IT WILL NOT FIX ITSELF
BUT
IF A PERSON IS LEFT ALONE TO HEAL... THEIR COLD MAY GO AWAY AND THEIR BONES MAY MEND

again... I have no regrets for the choice to get surgery
the doctors I spoke with all thought that this was a break that demanded invasive care
but
there is no way to create an Experimental and Control Group
I can not clone myself... leaving myself with a break on the same finger on two of me
treating one of me with surgery then Physical Therapy
treating the other of me without surgery and then Physical Therapy
only to meet back in 5 months, 5 years, and then 15 years to discuss how things are mending...

honestly...
even with surgery my doctor has not given me the most positive prognosis
there will be limited range of motion
there will be a chance of arthritis down the road
alledgedly....
I will have an increased range of motion due to the surgery
as well as having a lesser chance of arthritis down the road due to surgery
but
I forgot to run my little CLONING EXPERIMENT

lastly...
TAFFY

my finger is like a little ball of TAFFY
each day I work my stif litte finger (okay... BEAVIS!)
each morning my finger starts off all stiff, almost impossible to bend
then through the day as I increase my passive and active therapy activities
things start to loosen up
things start to bend
then after a long day I go to sleep
when I wake.... I have a stiff piece of taffy again