What ever happened to John Stamstad?

this weekend past I raced on a four man vet team at Granny Gear's 24 Hours of Big Bear
it was a hoot, a hollar, and a scream
that may be holler
but I think we went down and up few West Virginia hollars
not sure
as I am not sure if I could define homonyms or synonms
I am certain I can not spell either

the race is over
it is all behind me other than the soreness and the glory
along with the memories this weekend created
it also created a few questions....
one of those questions is

WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO JOHN STAMSTAD?

Laird Knight is famous for creating the 24 Hour Mountain Bike Race format
while John Stamstad created the ultra endurance solo class
together they changed the sport of mountian biking
there is no going back
there is a new understanding of the limits of the human body

but, what ever happened to John Stamstad?
is he running the Singletrack Ranch?
leading tours?
coaching endurance athletes?
or still racing?
a few years ago a friend of mine saw him mountain biking in Guatemala
but other than that... I have heard nothing
a quick GOOGLE brings up some stuff
but not the answers I am looking for
much of that is background information

either way.... Stamstad was a bad ass and I am confident that he still is an endurance machine!
thanks for being who you are
where ever you are

John Stamstad write up for the Mountain Bike Hall of Fame
Outside Magazine article from 1996

this year at Granny Gear's 24 Hours of Big Bear Steve Schwarz took first in solo in a very Stamstad style
riding his own race
not trying for the fastest lap times he could achieve
but rather knocking out each lap in a very consistent style
fast but not his fastest

excellent work Steve!
hope you called in sick this morning