other things that do not need to be taught...

over the holiday weekend there was all sorts of cross parent interaction
there were various playdates
all sorts of kid friendly holiday parties
there were gatherings with family
there were gatherings with friends

it amused me to see the repeated occurance of small children's interest in sports on television
whether it be thanksgiving or new year's day
it seems that there is always a football game on the tube
fathers sitting proud with their children beside them
everyone hypnotised by that new and improved HD style blue glow

it is great to see parent's share something that is important to them with their children
but
it seems that sports on television
and the religious gathering in front of the tube on game day is something that need not be taught
as it is something that happens naturally
to foster the american interest in sitting in front of the television on game day just does not seem neccesary

at one party there was a father boasting about how he treated his son to a three hour trip to a sports bar
while at another party a father wondered if his son's interest would transfer into playing sports
neither parent had any interest in them playing football
they just wanted them to watch football

sure these are good dads
and certainly they do more than just watch the game with their kids
the days are long and it is tough to keep a kid entertained
we have a television
we watch feature films and occassional shows on animal planet or discovery
heck
the whole house is addicted to the ten year old Mario 64 game
but it just seems like there is no need to foster an over active interest in game day for a small child
all those things will come naturally

with all this said
there are times when I feel guilty that my son is out of touch with the conversations about the game on sunday
heck, there are times when I am at work and I feel a little out of touch with all the monday morning quarterbacks reliving that hail mary pass or the statue of liberty play
but...
when I think of the highlights of my weekend
I most certainly to not want those ideas to be dictated by the win or the loss of the home team

anyone want to buy my football card collection?

and this
in college

no I did not play football
but I got the Heisman
all sorts of woman gave me the Heisman