things change quickly

things change quickly in this town
some things change more quickly than others

real estate and business
these are things that are changing all the time in washington dc

dc space is not the only place that is a starbucks now

just today along my short ride home I noticed some changes

sure I had known that wrap works had closed on Conn. Ave
but I had not known that Mantis had turned into Napoleons
and it was not until I read the Northwest Current that I learned that Childe Harold is moving
or is it that the Childe Harold is closing from that location and wishing to open elsewhere

also on that same path in that same area I noticed that the Flower Shop at 21st and P Street is vacant
while through word of mouth I have heard that the Hardware Store with the bicycle shop is being forced to move as well

things change fast in this town
I have seen businesses start and disappear
never really knowing the story
with the blink of an eye
or is it the snap of some fingers

sometimes change is a steamroller
leaving nothing but memories in its wake

yes, things change quickly in this town
some things change more quickly than others
some things change too slow
while some things never change in this town