by monday morning it will be business as usual...

by monday morning it will be business as usual...
for many there has been no change

yesterday after work I went to dinner with lisa and the boys
I met them straight from work at Radius pizza in Mount Pleasant
after dinner I rode my bike home with the boys on their bikes as lisa walked behind us
we still have not replaced lisa's stolen bike

I rode as a moving pick

blocking for them
riding ahead to make sure things were clear
always fearing the worst case scenario
always trying to keep my boys safe

at a four way stop the boys wait for me at the corner
I tell them to let the approaching cars pass
one car... two cars...
the third car coming down the hill makes a shockingly complete stop then waves us on
I give dean a turbo boost across the cross walk so he can get some momentum to climb the hill up the sidewalk across the street
then I give grant the same

with the boys across the street I remind them to stop at the corner at the top of the hill

I wave to the lady who had stopped
she smiles and I say thank you
lisa and I let her and the next car in the queue go
then we go to step off the curb
the car coming up the hill rolls behind the bumper of the car in front of it
never making a complete stop

never yeilding others their turn
not aware of lisa and myself

words are shared....
he did not make a complete stop at the stop sign
he did not yeild to pedestrians
and
he was on a cell phone
he said something about me not being on the curb... yes... I turned back to gab my bicycle that was leaned against the street lamp post
had he been more aware of his surroundings I would figure he would have allowed for these two parents to cross so that they could catch up with their two small children
instead he yells at me
ASSHOLE! self absorbed ASSHOLE unaware of the world around him

as he yells at me I chatter back... neither listening to the other

failure to make a complete stop at the stop sign at the stop line-failure to yield to pedestrians-no cell phone usage while driving in the district (without a hands free device) -failure to make a complete stop at the stop sign at the stop line-failure to yield to pedestrians-no cell phone usage while driving in the district (without a hands free device)- failure to make a complete stop at the stop sign at the stop line -failure to yield to pedestrians-no cell phone usage while driving in the district (without a hands free device)


lisa and I catch up with dean and grant
this man is still yelling
getting the last word is very important to us men

we cross the street and the boys ride their bikes in the alley

I try to explain to lisa that my sensitivity is heightened after the cyclist's death earlier this week
lisa points out to me that there is a good chance that this man has not heard of this incident
which may be true
his behavior is not changed

while I am still a tad overly sensitive

by monday morning it will be business as usual
we will get on with our lives
it will only be a week since Alice Swanson's death
the ghost bike may remain
behaviors will be the same

PHOTOS BY ICON O. CLASST
http://wrenchinthegears.blogspot.com/