NY TIMES BLOG presents study

a NY TIMES BLOG on the topic of CYCLING presents some information about cyclist routinely breaking the law
http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com

ah...
car drivers may do as they wish...
pedestrians may do as they wish...
but...
IF A CYCLISTS DECIDES TO BEND OR BREAK THE LAW... IT IS A CAPITAL OFFENSE

BOOK EM!

if a bicycle were to obey the law and behave like a car two things would happen
-the bicycle would not get there any more quickly than if they had decided to travel by car
-the bicycle would aggravate the following car traffic more than it ever did before and thus get run over by the arrogant and aggressive car drivers

on the bicycle MOMENTUM is vital... it takes energy to get speed... to slow and stop and start again not only disadvantages the cyclist... it is also a disadvantage to the car traffic

but honestly... cars are in the common routine of rolling through stop signs that it would be dangerous to the bicyclist to stop at a Stop Sign
when I drive my car I clinch my teeth each and every time I make a complete stop at the stop line... always fearing that the close following car behind me is going to rear end me because the complete stop at the stop line is so uncommon that they will not be able to anticipate the stop
so... on the bike... when I am being tailgated by an obnoxious driver... would it be wise for me to stop at a stop sign... well... lacking a rear bumper... not a good idea
then... if I do not get rear ended... then the car that already felt I was moving too slow would be more aggravated by the fact that they would have to move at my rate of acceleration

wanted to expand on this... but lost my train of thought

SPOKES: The Topic of Cycling in the NY TIMES BLOG