Ticketed for Headphones... what are the laws? what is fairly enforced?


a friend of mine got a ticket for wearing headphones while cycling on the GW Parkway...
what is the law here?

what is fairly enforced?

I can recall seeing Police in Boulder Colorado ticketing cyclists for speeding or wearing headphones on the bike path... and that was decades ago

DC has a "hands free" law for those who wish to drive and chat on their cellular phone
most people are holding their "hands free" devices while driving
and well...
we recently learned that it is not the distraction of the hand that causes the risk
but the distraction of the brain
and well... it is equally dangerous for a person to drive with the "hands free" device as it is to drive with the phone held to the ear by hand

I am not a fan of headphones on the bike
but I can see in a remote location they could have their merit
I know I have used them to give me energy on long rides/tours