if you have to ask...

as I type this I am transitioning my PANDORA station from TROUBLE FUNK to See-I
I am not sure if See-I has a release that will put them on the PANDORA RADAR
yet I will try just the same
now I type not knowing what I am going to come up with

okay... back to give it a re-read
since I had remembered that I had not mentioned BAD BRAINS that I best make an amendment
I am going to mention Bad Brains and I am going to listen to a BAD BRAINS station on PANDORA

WASHINGTON DC

the sleepy little city that I can home
a quiet little city with its short buildings and its varied reputation
a city known for...

what is DC known for?


DC is known for many things...
DC is known for its? Soul Food? Its Stateless State of Being?
shamefully DC is know for its crime... more specifically its murder statistics
but that is not all that DC is known for...
DC is...

DC...DC is DC

it is that simple

DC is not New York... and DC is definitely not LA
to the cyclist... DC is definitely not Portland... neither Maine or Oregon
DC is simply what it is and it is not what it is not

yes... DC is not... DC is not anything other than DC
which is fine... DC need not try to be anything else
DC is just fine being DC

DC is many things...DC is known for many things
some thing good... some not so good
for some... DC IS A MUSIC TOWN!
DC being a music town is grand
what? you did not know? you do not agree?
come on...

DC IS A MUSIC TOWN!
there is no argument here... just look it up

quick and fast... just in my lifetime and just from my music collection
DC IS A MUSIC TOWN!
Go-Go! DC is the Home of GO-GO...

Trouble Funk... Rare Essence... and Chuck Brown to name a few
PUNK ROCK! yes... in its own flavor... DC Hardcore or harDCore!
Minor Threat... Fugazi... Government Issue... the list goes on!
and then there is the international music groove scene that seems to be centered around The 18th Street Lounge....
Thievery Corp... Thunderball... See I... more than you know... more than I know... more than I care to list

HOLLY SHIT! HOW DID I MENTION DC MUSIC WITH OUT REFERENCING BAD BRAINS!

this is just from what I listen to...

this is just what is on my radar

DC is a city of culture...
DC is also a city of FREE CULTURE

FREE MUSEUMS... FREE PARADES... FREE LECTURES... and FREE MUSIC
there are frequent Music Festivals and Political Protests that involve music
then there are countless clubs that often have little or no cover charge
last night I had the pleasure of experiencing a not so well kept secret... SEE-I Wednesdays at ESL

MID-WEEK MASS?
yes.. Mid-Week Mass!

See-I Massive at ESL on WEDNESDAY NIGHTS!


See-I is the house band at the 18th Street Lounge in Washington DC each and every Wednesday night... unless of course they are out on tour or fire is coming from the sky
this Wednesday night gathering has been going on for a few years now

the energy continues to build without any appearance that things are going to wain

See-I is a multi-faceted band that moves the crowd with a groove comprised of FUNK-SOUL-R&B and of course REGGAE
this is a band chock full of heavy hitters...
through the course of the night there is a rotation of singers and a revolving tempo that hig
hlights the strengths of these players who are so strong

SEE-I is thick with talent...
the horns are as strong as the percussion or the vocals

Saxophone Solo? HELL YES!

Conga Rhythms? YOU KNOW IT!
Screaming Guitars? well... maybe not... the guitar is more groovey and cool than loud and in your face distortion... unless the groove goes that way... they work it... they know what works
Bass and Percussion? WITHOUT QUESTION! THIS MAY EXPLAIN WHY EVERYONE IS DANCING!
and last... but certainly not least
Vocals... oh yes... most definitely... See-I has vocals... See-I has its main players Roots and Zeebo on the mic while also pulling in other talented acts some of which are with the band while others are there for an impromptu jam


last night I got my permission slip signed and stayed out way past my bed time
rode the bike downtown and met up with an old friend who is in town from San Francisco

we connected at the front door of the 18th Street Lounge
to our credit we got there early enough that we were able to score a space on the floor before the band took the stage
the first set was... dare I say... "off the hook!" okay... I am not sure I talk like that
but not having the vocabulary of a food critique you will just have to take my word for it that THEY ROCKED
it was awesome... it was intense... and after they stopped for a break... who would think that they had energy to dish out more
well they did... and well... they had stored some fuel in the tank for the second set
who would think that they could crank it up and top the jams of the first set
BUT THEY DID!
and that is just for what I stuck around for
as my pillow was calling and my Red Bull was wearing off

enough was enough
my age was starting to show
the band was turning it up
the crowd was really starting to move
and me... well... I was headed out the door

time well spent...
good music... good time